“I Might Just Be A Hockey Fan In California” is a feature that will be posted every Saturday here at the View From My Seats. There are plenty of things going on in the hockey world (and even the sports world); and you know everyone has an opinion. This is a place for some quick hits of the week that was.
I might just be a hockey fan in California, but:
- Daniel Sedin missed 18 games with a broken foot. His first game back—a 1-0 loss to the Blackhawks. That couldn’t be the kind of offensive production they expected.
- Right about now, Anze Kopitar could use some of that space that Ryan Smyth was creating.
- Isn’t it funny how Dustin Penner is the only guy on the Oilers that actually has size, yet has been a scapegoat for the last couple of years—and is the only one producing this season?
- Have you Seen Stamkos?
- With all the hype surrounding the two rookie centers in Colorado, I think people need to be reminded that Paul Stastny is still the best center in the Mile High City. Talk about an embarrassment of riches.
- Sometimes I forget how passionate fans in Toronto and Montreal are. And I mean that as a compliment this time.
- I’ve watched 1 quarter of basketball this season. And even that was because there was no hockey on.
- The Sharks should have taken the “C” away from Patrick Marleau YEARS ago!
- If you were starting a team, how quickly would you pick up Ryan Malone?
- The Toronto media making a big deal out of John Tavares’ return was about as predictable as Martin Havlat getting hurt this season.
- It sucks when there’s only one game in the NHL. It’s even worse when the game starts an hour before I get home.
- Fantasy hockey is a commitment that I’m not willing to make at this point in my life. Once a week fantasy football is tough enough—but something that’s DAILY? That would cause a divorce.
- It’s truly amazing how far and away Phil Kessel is the best player on the Leafs. I can’t even think of the 2nd best player behind him.
- Brad Richards is currently tied for 3rd in the league in scoring. When are people going to realize that the Richards/Neal/Eriksson line is more than a Conn Smythe winner, a guy that threw a check from behind and a man named Youi?
- I think some Kings fans have unrealistic expectations of Andrei Loktionov—but not me. Can he be put on the All-Star ballot yet? Too soon?
- If Chris Chelios was one of the biggest problems with the NHLPA and he’s put in charge, do all of the problems and conflict of interests magically go away?
- The Devils won 9 straight on the road to start the season, then have followed that up with 3 straight losses. Devil fans: I apologize for writing that article last week.
- Tuukka Rask is 6-2-1 with a .919 save percentage and a 2.27 goals against average. Not too bad for a back-up. How is Justin Pogge doing for the Bakersfield Condors?
- Daniel Briere’s hit on Scott Hannan only makes me think of one thing: Imagine the damage that would have been done if it was a hockey player delivering that hit and not the chick from Reality Bites.
- I actually almost forgot that the Blackhawks still had Marian Hossa waiting in the wings. Damn, that’s a lot of talent for one team.
- Gary Bettman is a pompous little person that needs to be fired for the good of the game.
So what were your thoughts from the NHL week that was?