“I Might Just Be A Hockey Fan In California” is a feature that will be posted every Saturday here at the View From My Seats. There are plenty of things going on in the hockey world (and even the sports world); and you know everyone has an opinion. This is a place for some quick hits of the week that was.
I might just be a hockey fan in California, but:
- I don’t care what anyone says. Singing “Oh say can Jussi” during a Team Finland game is just good, clean fun.
- With the exception of this season, the Kings management has increased prices every season (despite the quality of product on the ice). With the team actually performing at a high level this season, I wonder just how high those ticket increases are going to be.
- After that Switzerland/Canada game, how happy are the Ducks that they already signed Jonas Hiller to an extension?
- It was nice how Team Canada did the whole “We don’t know who our starter is going to be” dance going into the Olympics. Luongo gets the shutout and Brodeur gets the starting job. Why even waste people’s time—we all knew that Brodeur was the starter.
- I don’t think I’ve ever seen a hockey player have a big Tiger/Kobe press conference to apologize to his wife and fans. Maybe I’m just not paying attention.
- I really, really like the 3 points for a win, 2 points for a shootout win, and 1 point for OT loss system they have going in the Olympics. If the NHL feels like tinkering, it’s a good place to start.
- Jaromir Jagr, Ziggy Palffy and Peter Forsberg suiting up with the World’s best? Welcome to 1998. I’m waiting for Mario Lemieux’s 147th comeback.
- When did Winnipeg become the desirable destination for NHL teams? Did reporters just get sick of making up Hamilton rumors? Did they just need to move on?
- The NHL regular season, playoffs or even the Olympics—Chris Pronger is going to have mental lapses. Oops, I’m sorry. I meant that he’ll play with an edge. My bad.
- For fans that are upset that their favorite player isn’t getting enough ice time (or none at all) in Vancouver, just remember – At least they’re getting rest that you’ll appreciate down the stretch!
- I’m surprised how easy it is to put down any previous allegiances during the Olympics. If you’re wearing USA on the front of your jersey, then I’m a big fan for the next 2 weeks. I’m sure people feel the same way in Canada about players who are wearing the Maple Leafs on their chest.
- Speaking of putting aside allegiances (and preconceived opinions), I’m officially giving Jeremy Roenick a pass for the duration of the Olympics. Each and every fan (even in Phoenix and LA) should forgive his transgressions and actively root for him to make Mike Milbury look like a fool at every opportunity.
- Forget which particular country you’re rooting for. I love how each team is already taking on their own personality. David Backes, Ryan Kesler, Ryan Callahan and Jack Johnson? Yeah, I’m proud to be an American.
- I know that Jari Kurri is revered in Finland—but I wonder if Teemu Selanne has surpassed him.
- Did you know that Nikolai Khabibulin was charged with a DUI earlier this week? Yeah, neither did I. Sometimes, it’s nice that the NHL doesn’t get any coverage.
- Do you think that Jeremy Roenick buys his spray tan by the case?
- It’s amazing how much faster the game is played without all of the commercial breaks.
- Let me get this straight: The players want to play in the Olympics and most fans love watching it every 4 years. Let me say that again: The players want to play and the fans want to watch. Anything else Bettman says about Sochi 2014 is clouding the issue.
- Wow, I’ve missed Jaromir Jagr when he’s motivated. Get that man back in the NHL!
- Gary Bettman is a pompous little person that needs to be fired for the good of the game.
So what are your thoughts from the NHL week that was?
Click here for our archive of past editions of our “I Might Just Be A Hockey Fan In California” feature.