“I Might Just Be A Hockey Fan In California” is a feature that is posted every Saturday here at the View From My Seats. There are plenty of things going on in the hockey world (and even the sports world); and you know everyone has an opinion. This is a place for some quick hits of the week that was.
I might just be a hockey fan in California, but:
- Did you know Tim Thomas’ save percentage is .977? The last time a goalie had a number like that, Nikolai Khabibulin was taking a breathalyzer test.
- Am I the only one who really wants to see Chris Neil challenge Brian McGrattan to a fight the next time the Bruins and Senators play?
- Sure the Buffalo Sabres are off to a rough start, but can you imagine if Ryan Miller’s minor injury was a major one? Is there any other team that depends on one player as much as the Sabres depend on Miller?
- After hearing the hometown crowd boo Dion Phaneuf, an upset Brian Burke said that the fans needed to have patience. That’s only interesting in that GMs who preach patience are usually talking about their draft picks developing—and that’s certainly not the case in Toronto.
- First Ray Whitney addressed it. Now Zach Bogosian. I know there have been attendance issues in the past, but I don’t remember players speaking out about them as much as they have in the early part of this season.
- Did you know the Columbus Blue Jackets were in 2nd place in the brutal Central Division? Better yet, did you know they were in 4th place in the entire Western Conference? When did this happen?
- There’s been some talk among GMs that they may increase the number of plays where instant replay could be instituted—even suggesting a Coach’s Challenge. On a related note, the next item the GMs talked about was doling out 2 minute minors for excessive goal celebrations.
- I have to admit—it was cool to see Sidney Crosby mix it up when his team was down 4-1, rallying his troops after his teammate had just gotten into a fight. I’m a little bit surprised he went after Matt Niskanen, though… then again, Mike Ribeiro was already curled up in the fetal position outside the faceoff circle.
- Hockey fans have probably spent more time discussing the meaning of “blindside hit” than actually discussing on-ice play this year.
- Speaking of blindside hits: as much as we complain about consistency, Joe Thornton’s suspension for his hit on David Perron is pretty consistent with the one laid down for Shane Doan’s hit earlier this year. Whether Doan’s hit should have created the precedent in the first place is a completely different discussion.
- Is there a more underrated defenseman in the league than Stephane Robidas?
- The Central Division. Good God, what a nightmare to have to play EVERY SINGLE ONE of those rivals six times this year.
- Forget hockey—I hope Pierre-Marc Bouchard can recover from the serious concussion that has kept him out for 13 months now.
- Attention Blackhawks fans: Jeremy Morin. Learn the name. Love it.
- We’ve made it through October Ott-tober. Let the coaching changes begin! (My apologies to Lindy Ruff for any heart palpitations that may have caused.)
- I’m not sure what happened in that shootout to finish the season last year, but something changed that day and the Flyers have been a dominant team ever since. Yet another thing Olli Jokinen screwed up.
- How long before the Columbus Blue Jackets give serious consideration to naming Mathieu Garon their full-time #1?
- Atlanta Thrashers vs. Chicago Blackhawks in the ATL. First time there’s ever been two road teams in one arena?
- Florida Panthers fans. I’m sorry. I’m surprised they even bothered to put Panthers players in this advertisement.
- What’s the worst part of Martin Brodeur’s injury for the Devils? They haven’t been carrying a back-up since 1997. Yes, they picked up Johan Hedberg in the offseason; but when you’re rockin’ a 6.59 GAA, I’m not really sure what you’re official title should be. But safe to say, goaltender isn’t it.
- Gary Bettman is a pompous little person that needs to be fired for the good of the game.
Click here for our archive of past editions of our “I Might Just Be A Hockey Fan In California” feature.